Today we will be making this delicious tomato soup recipe. Tomato soup definitely ranks as one of the comfort foods you need to intergrate into your life.
Whether you’re having tomato soup with bread for breakfast, lunch, or even tomato soup accompanied with roast chicken, pudding, rice – in fact, it can be used as a base for your sauces and soups – and you could make a delicious spaghetti bolognese sauce out of tomato soup. They opportunists are endless on this one because it’s a perfect starter dish.
Ready to dive into how to make this tomato soup recipe? Let’s do it.
Easy tomato soup recipe
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Sticks Celery
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 4 Medium-sized Sweet potato Washed and chopped into small chunks
- 700g Tomato passata
- 4 Cups Vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano or parsley leaves To serve
- 1 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil To drizzle
- Toasted baguette bread slices To serve
- In a larger saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add your chopped onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes until the onion is soft. Add the garlic, stir, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add your sweet potato, tomato passata, with Italian herbs and your chicken or vegetable stock. Cover the pot and bring it to boil over a medium heat. When boiling, reduce heat to low. Leave to simmer for 15 – 20 minutes until the sweet potato is soft. Remove from heat.
- Using a blender or a hand-held blender, carefully blend all the contents in your pan (the tomato soup, onions & sweet potato, etc) until it is very smooth. If it is too thick, add more stock or water. Leave in pot for an extra 1 min to all come together.
- To serve, dish your soup among serving bowls. Top soup with sour cream, and a splash of oregano or parlsey (if using). Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, and serve with some bread.