I think it’s safe to say Lamb Stew is one of life’s best pleasures, and in this lamb stew recipe, I will teach you how to make lamb that melts in your mouth, accompanied with potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and many more.
The beauty about this recipe is it’s a one-pot meal, is that you put everything in one pot which then cooks and comes together, tasting magnificent in the end.
The main things I personally think makes the dish so great is a good cut of lamb, which is chopped into small bites, plain flour which helps to thicken the lamb stock when it forms, oh and the red wine – which gives the lamb stew such a delicious yet sophisticated taste. Although it’s a homemade dish, it also tastes like it was made in an authentic high class restaurant.
On Easter Sunday, I made this lamb stew recipe for my family. I bought my lamb shank from Aldi the day before, and then cut it into small chunks and marinated it over night. My parents absolutely loved it – they’ve named me a lamb stew connoisseur. Particularly, my mom mentioned that she loves how the lamb just melts in your mouth. They also felt like all the spices worked together too.
The lamb stew is a perfect recipe to bring the family together as it is very delicious. Today, you will be learning how to cook a delicious homemade lamb stew recipe that will bring smiles to everyone’s faces at the dinner table.
Ready to dive into this lamb stew recipe?
Let’s get cooking 🥩
How To Make Lamb Stew
Preparations for Lamb Stew
1. In a large mixing bowl, throw in your lamb chunks which have been cut to bite size. I use this Pyrex mixing bowl for mineTo spice your lamb you will need:
- 1 cube of lamb or beef stock
- 4 stems of fresh thyme (from my garden). If you don’t have fresh thyme, just use thyme in spice bottles.
- 1 tablespoon of sage
- 1 tablespoon of plain white flour
- Salt & pepper
2. Next, stir the spices together into the lamb. Now, you can do this the day before and leave the lamb to marinate over night, which makes it even tastier, or you can spice your lamb 15 mins before cooking and just cook it.
3. Next, prepare the vegetables. For this lamb stew recipe, you will need carrots (at least 3-5 large carrots), celery (3-5 sticks), potatoes (about 5-7, depending on how
Depending on how much you want, mushrooms (200g),
In your large dutch oven casserole pot, throw in
How to cook Lamb Stew
Easy Lamb Stew Recipe
- Dutch oven pot Here is the pot I used. Very affordable: https://tidd.ly/3voSt3S
To spice the lamb
- 1 Kg Lamb or lamb shank (lamb shank/leg is usually the tastiest part)
- 500 Litre Beef stock mix 1 cube of beef stock with 500l of hot water
- Fresh thyme
- 1tbsp Sage
- 2 tbsp Plain flour
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 Garlic cloves diced
- 1 Large onion diced
- First, cut your lamb into bite sizes. To spice it, toss in your thyme, sage, plain flour, and salt and pepper. Leave to marinate over night for tastier flavour, or marinate for 20 minutes – if you want to cook it on the same the same day.
- Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil, and throw in lamb pieces into the pan (4-5 minutes per side), and cook in 2 batches depending on the size of your pot.
- Next, add the chopped onions and saute it for 2 minutes. Then, add the garlic and saute for 1 minute, stirring it constantly.
Why not check out my latest recipes: jollof rice with grilled chicken and sweet potato with asparagus grilled chicken? See you there 🥘
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings
Hi Benita. I tried your lamb stew recipe and it turned out fab!!! I absolutely love your recipe. Although I added parsnips and whole onions in mine, and cooked it in a slow cooker the whole day. The family absolutely loved it! thanks for sharing
Thank you Abigail! I’m glad you liked the recipe!