Nigerian jollof rice is one of the best things ever created – its tomato & pepper base, meat stock and traditional spices truly makes it one of a kind. It contains flavours that are perfect for dinner with family and friends,, or even a party which makes a delicious tasting experience. Today we will learn how to cook it authentically, for that traditional taste.
Authentic Nigerian Jollof Rice
For the tomato & pepper base
- 4 bell peppers (or 4 long red peppers, depends on what you have)
- 6 vine tomatoes
- 3 large onions
- 1 whole clove garlic
- 3/4 ginger
- 3 scotch bonnet (depending on how spicy you want your food, you can use less if you like)
- 2 tins De rica tomato paste
- 2 maggi cubes
For spicing the meat
- 4 stems fresh thyme
- 1 stem rosemary
- 2 tbsp Ducros curry powder (Ducros is my preferred brand – but any curry powder should do)
- 1 tbsp garlic granules (spice)
- 1 tbsp ginger granules (spice)
- 2 crayfish maggi cubes
- 5 curry leaves
- 5 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion
- 2 tomatoes
- To start off the dish, grill your peppers. This gives the jollof rice that smoky sensual taste. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/356 Fahrenheit. While the oven is preheating, slice the red peppers, tomatoes and onions in half and place them face up in a oven pan. Slice the top stalk of the garlic, revealing the inside and place it face up in the oven. Drizzle olive oil on the garlic only, to prevent it from burning. Leave to grill in oven for 20 minutes. Check on the peppers, and turn them to grill the other side. Remove garlic if it has turned brown, or leave if you require it to grill a little more
- While peppers are grilling, throw in the meat (chicken or turkey) into a large pan. Add chopped onions, curry leaves, fresh thyme, 1 scotch bonnet, curry powder, garlic powder. Mix thoroughly. Cover and leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add a little water and leave to cook for another 15 minutes. If using turkey, cook for only 15 minutes.
- Get your red peppers, onions and tomatoes and garlic. Cut them, remove seeds and roast them in the oven for 40 minutes. Drizzle olive oil on garlic before roasting.
- Remove all grilled vegetables and put them in a blender. Add ginger to the vegetable and blend it all together.